Hi, I am new to iclone and I imported an fbx file from Blender. However the imported fbx file appears as a prop instead of a character. How can i convert this to a character OR how can i save the animation so i can attach it to a naitive iclone dummy character. I tried to save the animation in the custom folder and apply it but it said the animation was invalid (for the dummy). https://www.berrycast.com/conversations/9f883ff4-a40a-5226-a69b-1c03f54483b1
Are you importing into iClone, or into Character Creator? CC has an option for “Humanoid” characters.
Directly into iclone. I only have iclone and Cartoon Animator.
Okay, others can correct me, but I believe CC is more or less required to properly translate 3rd party characters into iClone-compatible characters–at least that’s the way I always do it. There is generally an involved translation process in CC before sending the character to iClone. If I import a Daz fbx character in CC, for example, it knows what it is and imports the skeleton etc., where if I import the same character fbx into iClone, it’s like a block of wood–no skeleton.
this might work too as an alternate approach - https://actorcore.reallusion.com/auto-rig/accurig
Yes i did try Accurig, but i gave me an error when i tried to convert it.
ok i will have a look for alternative method
then my next guess would be a setting you are using in the fbx export - the native fbx for blender can be unstable so you may have to try some changes - or try using the blender plug in for iclone to help smooth out compatibility… are you aware of this pipeline plug in ?
( on the compatibility, last I checked, blender uses it’s own code to emulate fbx but it’s not the authentic autodesk fbx format, it works well with the mesh type stuff, but for rigs that’s where it starts to break - so thats where the plug in or trying various settings may help mitigate that issue )
Hi, yes i have the pipeline plugin. Im still trying to export from there successfully lol, no joy yet though
yeah, then definitely play with the fbx export settings - if I remember correctly, it was a similar issue that lightwave had, their gimbals / axis in the rigs were pointing a non standard way making it generally incompatible. or something like that.
What kind of rig is that? If it’s one that RL supply a re-target profile for, then in Clone import (or I would rather use Convert option) FBX as an external motion and select appropriate profile at the prompt (I assumed you just need a motion)
Its a Blender meta rig
If your actual final destination is to have this Character working and animating in iclone that Blender metarig’s(rigging)is useless
Have you tried just deleting the blender rigging and exporting the .obj file into Accurig for rigging & conversion to an Actorcore or Iclone avatar?
The problem is, that disconnected skeleton meshes would not rig in stand-alone Actorcore Accurig. Must have a solid mesh character. They fixed this issue in CC built-in Accurig but not in stand alone. So OP has to add a solid human mesh to skeleton in Blender while matching joints and then hide it with material opacity before export. Then Accurig should work fine. But still there is no way to import any animation made in Blender as Accurig would strip it.
OK thanks 4u2ges
I have a more clear understanding of the problem.
The stand alone Accurig uses a voxel skinning method
based on meshes limbs volume center mass.
Apparently even a fully joined .obj file of a human skeleton confuses Accurig as to where those limb center masse are.
I just tried to rig an old Daz skeleton
.obj and indeed Accurig failed with an “evaluation” error. ![]()
That said I did manage to “back door” the Daz Skeleton figure exported as FBX to , Iclone 7 ,via 3DX,
He was auto recognized by 3DX as a Daz figure but his forearm bones still went wonky and his heel bones went missing entirely.
But he is a fully animatable Iclone nonstandard avatar.
that’s why i see iclone 7 as the sweetspot of the iclone series. RL should really put that version out on the market again - the new features look amazing and all, but at 7 you could import and export with ease and do anything fancy(er ) in 3rd party software. ( with indigo render which got ridiculously fast since it was first used with iclone )
I did him a long while ago by rigging to CC character as a cloth.
Nowadays CC4 AccuRig can sense limb joints on any mesh even if it’s disconnected, it’s just not on free stand-alone edition.
Reissuing would require effort on RL’s part, because the software needs to be maintained. Also, it was the combination with 3DXchange that made it powerful.
IC7 & 3DX 7 appear to be still available.
I mentioned this in the old forum as it seemed
suspect but no one from RL seemed bothered so….
But honestly, it does not makes sense to buy IC7 pipeline for $500, when you can buy IC8+CC4 for $550

