Reallusion for Linux needs to happen

As I said before, Linux is a great operating system.
But it’s greatness or stability means nothing if you are tied to a commercial software ecosystem that does not run on Linux.

Anybody choosing to remain in the Reallusion ecosystem comfort bubble
is also choosing to remain on the windows operating system.
It really is that simple. :grin:

1 Like

I still have not seen one convincing argument that would intice me to switch over to Linux. My experience with Linux has not been good, and I found the “help” I got on-line less than optimal: too many snarky individuals and know-it-alls.

This forum on the other hand is very friendly…

Steam OS is kind of funny. I remember a couple of years ago there was an attempt to promote a Steam Machine (or whatever it was called) and it failed.
Besides, many gamers build their own PCs, I believe, which gives you full control over the thing.

I will admit that Microsoft is blundering, but it doesn’t seem to affect my Windows 11 PCs, of which I have several. Besides, I have a list of software I use, most of it does not run on Linux, so what would my incentive be?

2 Likes

It is not just RL software in my case.

1 Like

In a way as Icloners we are gamers because the iclone render engine is a gaming style engine, and it’s main focus for the last few years has been for game developers.

Their repository for free software is rather huge, it reminds me of the early days of windows when everyone was experimenting and sharing.

the difference now is players with big money are supporting linux, because windows is taxing them with buggy software and customer support costs. I hear you though, I’ve been a big fan of windows for years since before the pc vs mac wars but lately they have not been acting like the company i once trusted, now I’m feeling a relief that there are alternate choices to escape their planned obsolescence of hardware / software, spying through telemetry, treating the user like a product to sell to marketers, forced upgrades, forced updates - forced certificates that can stop running any software that doesn’t register with them, all in the name of “security” which that in itself makes me suspicious because all power grabs are usually “for our own good” - i’m not a fan of being a frog in hotwater that ms and mac for that matter had in mind.

we are just one linux distrobox app that handles windows and mac os away from full compatibility - i suppose my biggest concern now is that someone tries to dominate linux with their own proprietary version “for our own safety” again.

And the same is true for most people.

I’m still running older seats of the pre subscription versions of the Adobe software ,photoshop, After-effects. and illustrator CS6.
And then there’s my comiclife software for laying out the panels and pages of my comics and graphic novels.
And please don’t bother telling me about so called linux “alternatives” because most of them are trash and frankly I am an old man set in my ways.

For me, being able to run the software that I prefer to run is more important than the underlying operating system.

1 Like

I don’t think you guys have anything to worry about, heck, you can still buy an amiga computer and run amiga os on compatible hardware …even the artist moby still uses the atari on occasion to make music. and windows will still be around on the internet archive.

BUT

Microsoft abused its power as it’s always tried to do since internet explorer ( one of the worst browsers in history ), now people are getting tired of its monopoly and constant power grabs. it’s losing relevance and linux is about to old yeller the outdated, bloated, wanna be dictator software. and that makes me really happy! :smile:

1 Like

I think people are getting too emotional about their OS. If they were to spend as much time on simple configurations of Windows you can do with the Pro version as is needed for Linux (unless your needs are very basic), Windows can run smoothly without issue.
And like Autodidact, I also have Windows-specific software, including the Adobe suite, Comiclife, and of course Topaz Gigapixel. So-called alternatives may have similar functionality but often miss certain features.

3 Likes

I think people are getting too emotional about their OS.

Indeed, you almost get the impression that some people want to switch to Linux, not because they have some actual specific technical need to be using that OS.
But frankly seem motivated by performing some sort of spiteful act of "vengeance "against Bill Gates/Microsoft.

now people are getting tired of its monopoly and constant power grabs. it’s losing relevance and linux is about to old yeller the outdated, bloated, wanna be dictator software…. heck, you can still buy an amiga computer and run amiga os on compatible hardware …even the artist moby still uses the atari on occasion to make music. and windows will still be around on the internet archive.

Frankly, any talk about Microsoft somehow being put out of business by Linux and us windows users being reduced to spelunking around internet archives looking for a working a copy of our defunct operating system,
( like those old vestigial Amiga enthusiasts), is pure fantasy. :rofl:

FACTS:

Even more so than Apple
Microsoft is a 2.97 TRILLION DOLLAR cloud service technology company
that sells desktop computer operating systems as a relatively minor “side hustle”

The Microsoft Corporation
makes most of its money these days from its cloud services, especially Azure, along with server products.
That’s the biggest driver right now.

From their latest full-year results (fiscal year 2025, ending around June 2025), total revenue hit about $281.7 billion.
They break it down into three main segments:

Intelligent Cloud (which includes Azure + other cloud services + server stuff) this was the top performer, bringing in around $106 billion or so, with strong growth (like 21% year-over-year).

Azure alone passed $75 billion in revenue and was growing fast at 34%.

Productivity and Business Processes
(think Microsoft 365/Office, LinkedIn, Dynamics) close behind, around $120-121 billion, super steady from subscriptions.

More Personal Computing(Windows, Xbox/gaming, Surface devices, etc.)smaller slice, like $54-55 billion.

Some older breakdowns pointed to server products + cloud services as 40% of total revenue in prior years, but the shift to cloud (especially AI-powered stuff) has made Intelligent Cloud the primary growth engine and often the largest single chunk.

So while Office/Microsoft 365 is a massive and reliable, the primary source of revenue (and especially the biggest growth area) is their cloud business, led by Azure.
It’s what keeps pushing the company forward these days.

…and BTW most of those lucrative MS Azure Web services are likely being run on linux based servers so linux is not a MS competitor but a well used asset.

1 Like

I don’t think you should switch. Based on what I’ve read from you, there’s no reason for you to. And, as far as I know, at this point there isn’t a Linux OS that can run all your programs. Plus you can control your Windows updates, so as long as that remains true - no real need to switch.

1 Like

You have absolutely hit the nail on the head. Microsoft doesn’t really care about the home PC customers because it GENUINELY isn’t worth it for them to care. And, from me personally, yeah - there IS some spite towards them. I have no issue admitting that. Once upon a time Windows was really friendly to use. I never even LOOKED anywhere else. And then they added all this bloatware and ads. It definitely rubbed me the wrong way. That’s why I’m looking elsewhere. Reallusion is the only software suite I can’t run on another OS and it’s also my favorite software. I hope Microsoft keeps it up. I want them to keep not caring, to the point where other OS’s can fill the void they leave. And it will force companies who are Windows dependent to make a decision. My job has already decided to just not update to Windows 11, staying with Windows 10. And, for all the vitriol I have for Microsoft, once I installed software to prevent all the updates, it has no real issues. In fact, the software I used to do that is really pretty cool and I never would’ve found it if I didn’t want to prevent Windows 11 updates. And the RL community is probably one of the best communities out there. No lies. People can have intelligent, insightful discussions and disagree in a civil manner (at least that’s been my experience). That’s become increasingly rare these days and it’s another reason why I don’t want to leave Reallusion.

1 Like

When your OS is starting to spy on you, forceing subscriptions, running unrequested AI tools, that cannot be switched off and the OS creator is a mayor part of the Epstein case, then it is time to show Windows the finger.
It will be a clever move for every software for supporting Linux ASAP.

2 Likes

We will see. How will I know that EVERY Linux contributor is squeaky clean? So that is not really a feasible criterion, I believe. I have tamed my OS sufficiently, and I hardly use social media, which is a much bigger problem as far as spying goes.

There are many things and developments today that I don’t like, but that is personal and not something I share. I act accordingly if possible, but I’m not willing to suddenly join a movement that claims to be morally superior.

It’s probabably best to become a hermit and live off the grid, because spying is taking place in all manner of ways.

2 Likes

Honestly there’s no point convincing someone doing something when there’s no need of doing something for them. If Windows works for you, it’s great and I sincerely hope it’ll stay like that for you. For me personally windows become more of an obstacle. My 3 main issues are instability, lack of control, and resource allocation. I want my system to do exactly what I want, how I want and when I want. I don’t want to have random updates that close all my work and destroy unsaved progress, I don’t need embedded ai, and I want my hardware to do my work not allocate itself for telemetry collection or system indexing. Also I use a lot of industry tools that are much easier to run on Linux. I also was skeptical but after working on Linux in 2 studios I figured that 1: it can do everything I need 2: it’s time to properly learn how big boys work. So after another update crippled my system in early days of win 11, I gave up and switched to Linux as a try. Most of software I use (and also software that used in most studios) either runs on Linux natively or runs perfectly through Wine. RL is the only one I had to stop using and the only one I really really miss.

3 Likes

Honestly, i see their side too. I wish i didn’t have to consider alternatives because it does take me forever to set up any new os’s to re-install the softwares - which even with staying in windows were at times incompatible with each new version and a tedious pita to set up. I just feel like i’ve reached my “personal” limit of how much i will feel comfortable with. The forced ai, the forced hardware upgrades ( but if you upgrade to the more expensive model, and rebuilt a new computer to replace the one that’s running great now, and had the pro windows version, and provided id to your account / cloud on microsoft so they can save your data in the cloud for their analysis, so I can see new ad’s and get a slower performing machine, and i just played along with a insanely controlled AI that i can’t stand its guardrails…but it’s all for my own safety -wink wink nudge nudge - nah bro, i’m not cool with that… i cringe at that stuff - and on the epstein story, yeah, actually belinda gates was bold enough to speak out on it and how it was the basis of her divorce in an interview. that extreme mentality doesn’t sit well with me when you try to put it in my life…and with computers so integrated in our lives - i don’t think it’s cool that they are forcing the issue with the microsoft agenda, your business ends where my rights begin. So, i’m still on windows 10, and i’m sure there will eventually come a time that I’ll have to upgrade my os / computer to keep up with latest developer softwares - affinity, davinci, blender, reaper work on linux, so do my fav games, i’ll still have my old windows 10 to boot, so by the time I have to update to a new os to keep up with the latest tech, I’m very happy to see Linux gain interest, seeing progress, traction and holding it’s place as a viable alternative - because i just don’t like where microsoft is heading and treating its customers. sacrificing a few programs for the sake of not enabling bad behavior like that is worth it to me

This is correct.
Again ,as I stated earlier, I am running all 3 operating systems right now.

Windows 10 (on my main pc.)

Linux, mint ( on an older HP machine, used for video entertainment purposes only)

And an older version of the macintosh OS
on a15 year old imac.

I think Linux it’s is a great choice, if you can find creative software suitable to your needs to run on it.

But some of us are at different stages in our life and in our work.

So no amount of Linux evangelism is going to have any relevance to how we continue to do our work/hobbies

animagic is long retired.
I just retired back in January.

Personally, I have largely migrated away from traditional 3D/CG softwares
(Blender ,Maya Iclone, Daz Studio Cascadeur etc),

moving completely over to AI work flows.
At this point the most I’m going to need from a desktop PC is my Davinci Resolve software for editing together, my AI generated animations.
The Adobe suite for editing and prepping my 2D AI generated images for layout into my comic and graphic novels.

I am not emotionally invested in any operating system, I’m just using the one that’s most convenient for me personally at this point in my life and hobby pursuits, and in this case, that’s windows 10

You are not going to argue a company, such as Reallusion, into creating Linux versions of their software suite, with anectdotal horror stories about windows 11

This is an internal cost-benefit calculation that they have likely already made for themselves, with cold, dispassionate detachment based on their own internal economics and market strategy.
It is certainly not
a decision any serious business would make based on any emotional sentiment or tribalist hatred of or love of one operating system over another.

2 Likes

being compatible with linux may not be a big deal actually - and might actually gain a new audience from steam for Reallusion to distribute only the linux version on steam…marketing opportunity.

I don’t think the typical Steam user would be willing to pay the kind of prices that RL would need to charge. Nothing is ever easy in software development. It’s not just the porting, it’s the maintainance and support afterwards.
Topaz (makers of GigaPixel and the like) were working on a Linux version of one of their products but had to be abandon it due to a lack of resources. They are also a small company, just like RL. From their forum I learned that they lost one customer because of that as he had just switched to Linux for all his systems. Topaz never promised a final Linux version, it was only in Beta.

2 Likes

i beg to differ, Steams wallpaper engine app ( with animation features ) is a top 20 software, and their team fortress was a huge engine for animating with a major community, steam is made of the same gamers that move on to become game developers. you are culturally reaching a community of game developers and aspiring artists and fan fiction creators. Steam is like the reddit of cg artists. Steam is full of artists that love consuming and creating art. This goes back to even iclones original roots, Machinima.

Iclone and cta could easily be used to create content for the wallpaper engine

I am not saying that Steam users would not be interested as such, I was just wondering about the price level.

1 Like

good point, easy to work around with a steam limited features version of iclone / cta that exports specific formats for a few popular gaming communities - other 3D softwares have done it for marketing sake “steam only version” - just research a few of the biggest games with mod communities that take custom content, and export only in those formats. a steam / game only output and video license, and also make features easy for video content developers to make custom video content. you don’t need everything that iclone does to make fan content. people could even import content from games to make animations in the games native / legal - steam distributed format in iclone.

a cut down version would cost less and entice some to buy the full version.