question

Hi there. I’m interested in creating characters for an animated series. I don’t enjoy modeling, so I initially created them in Tripo and then modified them in Blender to get the look I wanted. I discovered Character Creator, which promised easy character creation and rigging, but I’ve run into issues: the minimum requirements aren’t working for me—my machine has already crashed three times, despite having plenty of memory and processing power. Also, the bodies CC4 offers look misshapen and remind me of “BodyHumans”; they lack style and organic forms—they’re all distorted, like old PlayStation characters. My question is: can CC4 create characters in the style of Camp Cretaceous, or is it designed solely for realistic humans? What should my workflow look like if I already have my character bodies designed?

Hi romermorales,

CC4 is not limited to realistic human characters. It can also support stylized characters similar to those seen in Camp Cretaceous , although the final appearance will depend on your character design and modeling.

Since you have already designed your character bodies in Blender, you do not need to recreate them using CC4’s default body shapes. You can import your finished character into Character Creator and characterize it as either a Humanoid or Creature, depending on its structure. Please refer to this tutorial for the characterization workflow:

Regarding the crashes, could you please share your system specifications, particularly your CPU, GPU, RAM, and operating system? Please also let us know during which step CC4 crashes so we can check whether your system meets the requirements and better understand the issue.

Regards,

Greetings… thank you so much for the reply… I had high hopes for CC4, but it seems there are aspects of the program I wasn’t aware of, and now I need to look for alternatives. Let me explain the issues I’m having with CC4: 1) My Blender characters are ordinary people wearing clothes; they also have well-defined physiques—some muscular, some heavy-set, etc. While CC4 has its own templates, the body modifications aren’t harmonious… for instance, if you try to enlarge the chest, it does so clumsily—it doesn’t look organic or maintain the natural shape of the pectoral muscle. Clothing and accessories can only be used with the built-in templates; the software won’t let me apply them to my own custom character bodies. 2) When using Headshot, it won’t let me use a generated face on a “toon” character; it only allows for realistic human characters. 3) Regarding my machine’s specs, I’m attaching an image here (I’m not sure if I’ll be able to upload it). For example, I recently tried changing a humanoid’s skin color and the program crashed… I also tried configuring a humanoid body with a Headshot-generated head, and it crashed then, too. I just watched the video you kindly sent, and it made me think I might actually get along well with Character Creator 4 after all—but I need to be certain I’ll have the freedom to work on my characters the way I want. I look forward to hearing from you… Romer.

Hi Romer

Regarding your questions:

  1. If you are importing your Blender characters as Humanoid (Non-Standard) then you will lack the morphing abilities available in Character Creator when using Standard Characters. If you want to take advantage of the powerful character creation features of CC4 or CC5 then you really need to be working with Standard Characters. For Humanoid characters created in 3rd party software like Blender, you really need to get the character exactly as you want it before importing in CC4.

  2. You can use Headshot with stylised or toon characters. Please watch the tutorial HERE which takes you through the process.

  3. Unfortunately your computer specs are quite low for Character Creator and iClone. You do have the 8GB Vram version which is a bonus, but the AMD Radeon RX 580 is now 8 years old and performance will be on the low side. To reduce crashing issues, it is advised to lower your real-time graphics settings in Preferences (CTRL+P). This should help with stability.

I hope this helps a little.