Problem with eye shader on import to Blender

When I use the Blender pipeline, the imported eye shader has something weird going on which renders the cornea over the iris 100% reflective on axis to the camera (this is either a facing or fresnel effect). It looks as though the avatar is wearing mirrored contacts.

I’ve tried baking, and not baking textures - it makes no difference.

I tried skipping the pipeline plugin and just exporting a baked .fbx, but then I’m unable to rigify the armature, and all the textures come out weird.

I know this has been an issue before, because I’ve seen Reddit posts about it, but the eye shader has been changed since those were made.

I don’t mind admitting that I don’t understand what’s going on in this shader, which makes it impossible for me to diagnose and fix it on my own.

I really need help from someone who understands Blender: I simply can’t use any of my avatars until I can fix this issue. This is pretty urgent for me.

I can post screen shots of what the shaders look like if that helps.

The eyes use refraction. In Blender 4.4.3 you need to enable Raytracing in the Render Properties.

In older versions of Blender it used to need Screen Space Refraction enabled.

Not sure why Raytracing is disabled by default In Blender 4.x, as Eevee Next is completely dependent on it for just about every effect.

Thanks victor. That’s exactly it.

I forgot that Eevee does everything in camera space unless you turn on ray-tracing. The eyes look fine now.