I am new to iClone 8, and I am hoping to be able to set a “reach” keyframe via the API. I have not been able find definitive details about whether or not this is supported. Both Google and Bing (Copilot) AIs wrote code that was supposed to do this, but the python scripts generated attribute errors. Perhaps the AI’s are hallucinating, because both of them did this.
What I’m really trying to figure out is if this is supported at all via the API. The project I’m working on requires a large number of reach target events, and they are mapped out in time, so it would be easy for me to create a script that sets them, if the API supported that. Thanks
Why not just move the target object (dummy prop?) around to the locations you want to reach to at the appropriate time(s)? This is what I did in my MIDI Drummer plugin. You’ll probably need to enable the Reach Target action manually on your selected character.
Thanks for the reply. Actually, MIDI-to-action is my use case. I use this a lot in Blender, but am trying to replicate some of these techniques in iClone. My plan was to use MIDI to generate a set of frame #s (or MS values) and the corresponding action (“left hand hit snare”, “right hand strum”, etc). In Blender I did this with the equivalent of reach targets, where drivers turned on those constraints when I needed the action to occur. For example, the hand position & rotation for a snare hit had a dummy object at the pre-hit, hit and post-hit locations, and then I turned those constraints on and off as needed.
If I read your suggestion correctly, you are using the API to move a dummy prop into the “hit” location at the right frame/MS value? And the character’s hand follows that reach target around the instrument?
I don’t want to reverse engineer your MIDI drummer plugin (haha) but it sounds like I have a similar need.
That’s exactly what I did for MIDI Drummer – you can import a MIDI file and the plug calculates the correct frame from the delta time. Target is identified by MIDI note number. The plug is FREE – the only gotcha is that it only works with the GT-Drums kit prop (I have to know the locations to move to). In my opinion, you can’t beat this method for $10! I also did a MIDI Piano Player, but only moves the keys (not the hand or fingers, as fingers don’t have Reach capability). I thought about doing guitar, but kind of gave up trying to figure out where the target was moving, since the guitar moves with the avatar. You can check out my plugs here: MIDI Drummer MIDI Piano Player